Environmental and Resource Economics
Note Change of Venue!
Note Change of Venue!
The first California Workshop on Environmental and Resource Economics was held in May 1993 at Centennial House at UCSB and was organized by Bob Deacon and Charlie Kolstad. Since then, every 18-24 months (ie, occasionally), UCSB has hosted the California workshops. This year, the 8th such Occasional Workshop will be held at the UCSB Bren School of Environmental Science & Management -- Bren Hall.
The primary focus of the workshop is on graduate students, young faculty or researchers at universities or public or private institutes or government involved in research in environmental and natural resource economics. The workshop provides researchers the opportunity to share their work and/or ideas in a relaxed, workshop environment.
Although the workshop is open to all,
geographical group is faculty, graduate students and other researchers
Western North America, including
There is no charge for attending the
Workshop; in fact, local expenses for presenters are covered and some
assistance with travel is available.
email@example.com. Fax: 805.893.7612.
For information on registration, submission of papers/abstracts or on meeting arrangements, contact Sofia Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The workshop will feature short and long paper presentations. Short paper presentations will be 7 minutes in length and will not feature a discussant. Long paper presentations will be 20 minutes length and feature a discussant.
Those interested in making a short presentation should e-mail a one page abstract to email@example.com no later than Sept. 1, 2005 in PDF or WORD format. The abstract should be no more than 2 pages, 1,5 spaced. The abstract should include: (1) Name(s) of author(s), with the surname of the paper presenter in CAPITALS; (2) e-mail address of presenter; (3) Institutional affiliation and address (including email) of authors; (4) Abstract of paper containing no symbols, references or equations.
For presentations, we will have an
projector for transparencies and an LCD projector and computer for powerpoint
slides. Powerpoint presentations should be on a
Submitters will be notified no later than October 5, 2005 regarding the final status of their submission.
Everyone who wants to come is of course welcome.
The workshop will be held Friday October 28th and Saturday October 29st at Bren Hall on the UCSB campus. The workshop will begin at 12.00 pm on October 28th and run through the evening. On Saturday, the workshop will begin at 8:00 am and run until 6pm. A working dinner will be served on Friday and lunch will be provided on Saturday. Dinner on Saturday will be on your own.
Workshop Transportation and Around
For those who are flying into Santa Barbara, or arriving by train (both Goleta and Santa Barbara are served by Amtrak (1-800-872-72451), or by bus, you can reach campus or your hotel by SuperRide shuttle, the hotel shuttle or taxi (Yellow Cab Co. 805-965-5111).
There will be a shuttle van to and from the Best Western South Coast Inn to the meeting place.
For other travel information, view the UCSB visitors’ page.
Click here to update your registration information. Registration for the workshop is now CLOSED. If your plans change (ie, so that you are not able to attend), PLEASE update your registration to reflect this or simply send us an email.
We are able to offer financial
assistance to nearly ALL
participants (not just presenters) in the workshop according to the
travel reimbursement guidelines. We therefore encourage PhD students to
the workshop even if they are not making a paper presentation.
One exception is that we may not be able to support participants from
outside Western North America who are not presenting. IMPORTANT: A
week before the workshop, we will send an email to you confirming
arrangments. You must reply to that email with an
acknowledgement. Otherwise your hotel reservations will be
A. Travel Assistance to graduate students (whether or not presenting)
assistance will be just for graduate students within
assistance will be to all graduate students attending the
(whether from within
(3) Allowed expenses for transportation by personally owned automobiles are reimbursable at the current government established mileage rate, plus toll charges and necessary parking fees.
(4) Lodging for Friday and Saturday nights will be paid in a two-to-a-room sharing base. If you wish a private room, we will reimburse 50%.
(5) Dinner on Friday and lunch on Friday and Saturday will be provided. Consequently, no meal expenses will be reimbursed.
(6) All individual expense items must be supported by original receipts. Hotel charges must be supported by an itemized bill with evidence of payment. Original documentation is requested in all cases. Expenses not properly documented will not be reimbursed.(7) All travel expenses must be submitted for reimbursement within 30 days of the return date. .
B. Travel Assistance to Faculty or non-student researchers (if presenting)
(1) If travelling from a location in the Western US or Western Canada, we will reimburse the cost of travel by air, rail or automobile, though it should not exceed economy air fare rates. You may wish to book directly with our UC travel agent -- often the prices into Santa Barbara are cheaper and we can pay for the ticket directly. See http://www.travel.ucla.edu/new/Res_Request_UCSB.htm. Travel from outside western North America is generally not covered, with a few exceptions.
(2) If renting a car is necessary, an inexpensive type of rental vehicle such as a compact or economy car is expected to be used. Typically, a car is not needed if you are flying into Santa Barbara and only attending the workshop.
(3) Expenses for transportation by personally owned automobiles are reimbursable at the current government established mileage rate, plus toll charges and necessary parking fees.
(4) Lodging for Friday and Saturday nights at the workshop hotel on a single room base are reimbursable. For the most part, lodging at the conference hotel will be direct billed to the conference.
(5) Because most meals are provided, we will not generally reimburse meal expenses.<>(6) All individual expense items must be supported by original receipts:
-Charges for airline travel have to be supported by the passenger coupon portion of the ticket.
-Taxi expenditures (from and to the airport) must be supported by taxi receipts.
Original documentation is requested in all cases. Expenses not properly documented will not be reimbursed.
(7) All travel expenses must be submitted for reimbursement within 30 days of the return date.
blocks of rooms at the Best Western South Coast Inn. The Best Western
Coast Inn is a 3-star hotel just two miles from
shuttle service to and from the
There will be a special shuttle service to and from the hotel to the workshop place.
You can check out a slick commercial restaurant guide to Santa Barbara.